Easy-to-use, safe, high-performance wash-in waterproofing for down filled clothing and gear. Adds Durable Water Repellency, which reduces weight gain, and maintains the insulation and breathability of down filled items in cold and damp conditions.
Great for waterproofing:
- Down filled sleeping bags and clothing
All Nikwax packaging is made from 100% recycled plastic and is recyclable (#2 plastic) in Australia.
$29.95 – $179.95
How Nikwax Down Proof™ protects:
Nikwax Down Proof™ adds Durable Water Repellency (DWR), which protects against rain and condensation, improving the natural insulating properties of down.
Nikwax Down Proof™ prolongs the effective life of your down gear. It leaves a flexible water repellent treatment on individual down filaments and fabric fibres allowing moisture vapour to pass through, maintaining breathability and optimising performance in cold and damp conditions.
Nikwax Down Proof™ is quick to apply in a washing machine and ensures that the treatment goes right through the item, treating both the outer fabric and the down fill. The DWR of Nikwax Down Proof™ develops on air drying. However, tumble drying is recommended to ensure that the down is dried thoroughly and as quickly as possible. Leaving down wet or damp can ruin it completely.
Uses per bottle:
- Approximately 150ml per item of clothing
- Approximately 300ml per sleeping bag
For best results remove all non-washable parts and clean item(s) first with Nikwax Down Wash™ in a separate wash cycle. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing. Shake well before use. Follow care label instructions (large items can be treated by hand).
Front Loading Machine Wash
- Remove all detergent build up from the detergent dispenser
- Place clean item in washing machine (maximum 1 item)
- Use 150ml for 1 item
- Run 30°C synthetic cycle and slow spin
- After the cycle has finished run multiple spin cycles, each time incrementally increasing the spin speed, to remove excess water.
Hand Wash (use gloves)
- Immerse clean item(s) in hand-hot water. For clothing: use 150ml per item, fully submerge items(s) in water. For sleeping bags: use 300ml in 4cm deep water in a bath
- Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly
- Rinse clothing in cold water until water runs clear. For sleeping bags, repeat process, drain and gently press bag to expel excess water
To maintain waterproofing always wash with Nikwax Down Wash™. Do not use detergents.